Saturday, December 4, 2010

Family Give

Most of you already know that my family has been doing a series of gives each month for the past year. I can't tell you what a difference it has made; not only to others, but to me as well. It was really hard for me to quit working and go back to living on one income. I was so used to having some of my own spending money and doing pretty much whatever I wanted, that it was quite a reality shock. All of a sudden, I had to wait for payday to take the kids to the movies or out for lunch. Doing these gives has helped me see that there are those that don't get to wait for payday because the only payday they get is unemployment checks that don't even really cover their rent and utilities. There isn't money for McDonalds because there isn't money for shoes for the kids. There are people that don't have a nice warm home to come to at the end of a long day; they get to go to a soup kitchen and pray there is still food left. When I get to see my family and share holidays with them, there are elderly people in homes that dont have anyone but the workers to share their holidays with.

I am so proud of everyone in my family that has joined us month after month on this adventure. It has truly blessed me in so many ways and it has helped teach my kids that life isn't about getting the newest electronic or material things we want. It's about helping others, feeling compassion for fellow human beings, doing whatever little bit that you can to make the world a better place. That's what this life is about! About 10 years ago, the WWJD thing was really big. I believe that this is What Jesus Would Do; help others every single day of his life! He lived His life for others and in the end gave the ultimate sacrifice. None of us have ever been asked to die for anyone, so really...is it any trouble to visit old folks who have nobody or to donate a toy or a new coat now and then? I think not!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment