Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Ahhh... the lazy days of summer

I sure wish I was a kid again. Treven has spent most of his summer playing outdoors. From the second he gets up in the morning, he is wanting to go get his friends and ride his bike. Today, he went into the creek by our neighbor, Woody's house and played for awhile. When I went to check on him and his friends, they were soaked. They start at one end of the field, go through the culvert, and out the other side to end up at Woody's. There is a litttle waterfall where they can get in a little deeper and play.
Here the kids are on the other side of the culvert. There are mostly rocks leading into the culvert, but about 15 feet past the rocks is a little pool of water. As you can see it comes almost to their knees. Just the right amount of water to catch water skippers and little minnows in. It's nice and shady so I would imagine they could find all kinds of hungry mosquitos, too!

Colton and Mason had to leave, so Treven decided he wanted to take me to a spot to get some cattails. Here was a bit of our conversation on the way there:
Treven: Mom, there are some really great cattails down here and we don't have to go to Burley!
Me: Wow! Do you remember the rules about the cattails?
Treven: Sure...(thinks a minute) we don't hit dad with them because he gets really mad.
Me: That's right...it really hurts.
Treven: Dad gets so mad he might spank me so hard I can't sit down for a week!!!
Of course, there is a little inside information you need if you don't know the story on this conversation! Last summer, we went to Emerald Lake for a family picnic. Treven got several cattails and took them home. Gary told him over and over that we don't hit people with them. Treven decided it was ok to hit as long as you only hit the bad guys! Gary and I were just walking out the door to go to Annies and WHACK! Treven hit Gary right across the butt as hard as he could with the cattail. Needless to say, he got into some trouble over it. I came home a little later that night to check on the kids and he was still mad at his dad. He told me that he wasn't sure he would ever love dad again! He did get over it later that night, though.


More conversation:
Treven: Come on, Mom...let's go faster! (He starts running down the gravel road to the cattails)
Me: I can't run, Trev...I'm too old and fat (even though I do pick up the pace a bit)
Treven: (slowing down) It's okay, Mom. I'll wait up for you like a good son!
That you are, baby,,,that you are!



1 comment:

  1. I love it! I can't wait to check your blog every morning to see what you've written. I love seeing the pictures, but very best of all...I love reading the journaling. I want to print everything and keep it! Thank you soooo much for sharing with me.

    ReplyDelete