Monday, August 9, 2010

Reality Check

Yesterday was a really bad day. I was quite grumpy with the kids and a bit with Gary. I wanted to go boating and he wanted to stay home and relax so we I was crabby. Two of the kids (I won't mention any names, but the youngest two) were just on my last nerve. I tried to take a nap and my phone rang. Chelsey told me a little bit later that it was a friend who had heard Gary's cousin's son was killed Saturday night. We really hadn't heard anything, but I started calling around and found out it was true. This kid was only 14 years old. His mom will never get to hug him or tell him how much she loves him. She will never get to see him go to prom or get married or graduate high school and there I was pushing my kids off my lap because they were bothering me. How selfish could I be? It hit me instantly that if that were my child's (or my) last day, is that what I would want them to remember? I held my kids a little closer last night. I hope they all know how very much I love them. They are my reason for living. Without them, nothing would matter.

Our deepest sympathy goes out to Cory and Sheri. You guys are in our thoughts and our prayers. There isn't anything that anyone can do or say to take away your pain, but I know that time will eventually heal some of it. I don't know why Dakota was taken at such a young age, but I do believe there is a reason. Sometimes we just have to have faith. That's the only thing that helps us get through these very difficult times. May God give you peace and comfort! We love you!

1 comment:

  1. OMG...how awful. I'm so sorry. I can only keep them in my heart and prayers.

    ReplyDelete